- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium.
- Sautee onions stirring occasionally, 8–10 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue the caramelization stirring occasionally about 5 minutes; stir in basil.
- Add tomatoes, crushing with your hands as you go; season with salt and pepper and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat; simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thick, about 30 minutes.
- Add the balls, bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve on their own, over spaghetti or in a sandwich.
Meatless Balls in Marinara Sauce